1.12.2014

Overheard at My House

Child A:  Dad, can you enter the passcode on the iPad for me? 

Child B:  Yeah, what IS the password? 

David:  I changed it to an 8-letter word.  A word you don't know, by the way.

Child A:  Well, can you enter it for me?

David:  Okay, here's a question for all of you.  If the password is made up of 8 letters, how would you calculate the your odds of guessing it correctly?

Child C:  I would multiply 26 by 25 by 24 in descending order eight times.

David:  That would work if the letters weren't repeating, but they aren't unique.

Child D:  Then you would multiply 26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26.

David:  Correct!

Child A:  Dad, can you enter the passcode on the iPad for me?

David:  Here's an even better question!  If the password was 8 letters OR numbers that could repeat, what are your chances of getting it THEN?

Child D: I'd go with 36 times itself eight times.....

Child C: But are your chances any better since he gave us a clue?  Remember, it's "a word we don't know"!

Child A:  (bows head, wanders away to play)


Better start him early.

No comments:

Post a Comment