1.04.2014

Resolved: Slow & Steady, I Think I'm Ready

New Year's resolutions.  Is too late for those?  We are, after all, fast into January and I'm already sleeping far too little and rounding hairpin corners as I hang on for dear life.  I've been thinking over the resolutions part of the new year for the past week, and the thoughts running through my head have ranged from the oh-so-serious to the very inconsequential.

Here is a sampling:

:: Resolve to remember these resolutions come July.
:: Be slow to anger, even righteous (justified) anger.
:: Read Scripture before my feet hit the floor each morning.
:: Fold the clean laundry as quickly as humanly possible.
:: Spend dedicated time each day with each child, one-on-one, mainly listening.
:: Pray with intention and focus.
:: Put toilet locks on and childproof the front door.
:: State life-giving words over my children, even on those days when I am unspeakably frustrated with them for such actions as playing in the toilet (Josh), not flushing the toilet (Reid), or both (see above).
:: Call my mom every day. (Not throwing this in because she is perhaps the only reader of this blog, but because she does #5 so well)
:: Send more hand-written letters.
:: Sustain an ever-present awareness of my own very evident need for a Savior.
:: Love my husband well, setting aside selfish interests, however small, to serve and support him.
:: Finally start being methodical yet creative (creatively methodical?) about meal planning instead of being startled every night that they want dinner again. (Read: less plain ole yard bird with sides, less "it's breakfast for dinner again, kids!")
:: Teach my two eldest how to cook (see above).
:: Pare down my closet to only the things I love and get rid of the "might wear someday" and "used to wear, like in college" pile.
:: Play one kid game per week of their choosing, with the exception of the dreaded Dark Tag.
:: Try to get more sleep.
:: Fit the whole blog thing into an already tight schedule because the writing part gives me joy.
:: Respect Sabbath rest, remembering that this means getting organized and working harder the day before.
:: Round the corners more slowly.
 
For some truly amazing resolutions, take a look at those of Jonathan Edwards, one of the most influential theologians in early America, which he wrote at the tender age of 19 and read to himself once a week for the remaining 35 years of his life (the once a week thing being one of his very first resolutions--well played, sir!)
 
UPDATE:  The "try to get more sleep" resolution only took one night to shoot down. I blogged this entry until 1:15am, had Child A come in wanting to sleep on the floor right around then, and at 3:30am, Child B woke me up to tell me about a bad dream and a tummy ache.  Shortly thereafter, Doggie A fake retched, probably choking on the latest stocking stuffer she got her paws on, followed by Child C dashing down the hall at 5:00am feeling scared because her bathroom door was open. Come 5:45am, Child D was up cooing in his crib and ready to play!  Some days there isn't enough caffeine in a cup--bring on the java IV!


RESOLVED: play with abandon
 
RESOLVED:  Listen well and often
 
RESOLVED: Love without condition
 
::Guiding Scriptures for 2014::
 
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.      
2 Corinthians 4:7
 
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
Titus 2:11-14
 






1 comment:

  1. These are great!! I don't know what Java IV is but do tell if it works. I've started brewing a second pot of coffee in the afternoons but afraid my teeth will be a permanent yellow by summer if this new habit continues.

    ReplyDelete