12.16.2013

Fly on the Wall

Overheard at my house this weekend:


Anne M:  Mom, there’s something that bothers me a teeny tiny bit about Christmas day.  You know how I get presents when I get up? All the presents right at the beginning makes me forget about Mary and baby Jesus.  I don’t think about them because I’m thinking about the presents, you know?  It makes me feel sort of sad about Christmas.

Me:  Well, what do you think we should do about it?
Anne M:   I don’t know, that’s the thing.  If I were a boy I would give my presents to Jesus, but since I’m a girl, I guess I should keep them because he doesn’t want all that girl stuff.
Me:  Hmmmmmmm.

 ________________________________________________________________________________
 
Yes, there are two Roberts on this list of winners. Did I mention we are a competitive bunch? 
 (Lil Josh had his moment in the sun, too!)

 
David (to me):  Collin sat right next to me during the Mental Math round. 

Me:  I don't understand how it works.  Did they even give you a pencil?  No?  You just had to do it all in your brain?

David:  All you could write was the answer.  Hey Collin, do you know what fraction .18 repeating is?  Did you get that one right?  I couldn't figure it out so I skipped it.  It's somewhere between one-fifth and one-sixth.

Collin:  I dunno, I skipped it, too.  Did you get the one that was one-half times one-third times one-half of the square root of two hundred twenty-five?

David:  Yeah, that one was easy…one and a fourth.

Me (nonverbal):  Feeling dumb over here---can we please change the subject?


This moment--placing three times in a large, diverse crowd of math nerds students,
would likely never have happened without this momentous decision.
(Yep, they got matching trophies.)


__________________________________________________________________________________
Madeleine:  Mom, you are going to freak out when you hear this.  You won’t believe what we found at the Living Christmas Story tonight--in the pots they put at the market.  We were walking around Bethlehem and we looked down and Dad noticed something was in there.  He pulled it out and there they were! You’re never going to guess what it was. 

Me:  I can’t begin to guess.  Just tell me.

Madeleine:  Teeth, mom!  Two bags full of baby teeth!  In the pots!  It was so completely disgusting. 

David:  Yeah, I made some inquiries hoping whoever brought that prop would remember they left their kid’s teeth in there.  But nobody seemed that interested.

Me:  Maybe those pots belonged to the real tooth fairy?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Anne M:  You know what the best day of my life is going to be?  The day I die!  The day I die will be the best day of my whole life put together!

Me:  What's your thought process there?

Anne M:  Because I get to meet Jesus!  IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME! 

Me:  Amen, sister, amen.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment