10.08.2013

A Tuesday Concert

Today the most startling thing happened. 

David's had little sugar ants plaguing his desk and I finally called our pest control group to come out and take a look.  The technician came around 4:30, right before I pulled in from school pickup.

Madeleine rushed in with her plaid skirt flying and started to play the piano, which she does every single day.

The other kids slung their backpacks down and raided the refrigerator, like they do every single day.

Then the "Bug Guy", as I will call him because I don't know his name, came down the stairs with David from the office. 

In a very unexpected move, he spotted the 90-year old piano and asked if he could play.

We all looked at each other awkwardly, and I said too loudly: "Of course!"

What followed was one of the most marvelous piano performances I've ever witnessed.  He played with such force, elegance, tone--I had to go in the kitchen and wipe the tears away.  It was like the heavens opened up and the music rained down, right in our living room.  When he finished, there was a moment of corporate silence, then all seven of us began to applaud loudly.

Who was this hard-working, blue-collar man making that piano sing in his pressed khaki uniform shirt with his name neatly stitched in cursive and blue protective booties still covering his shoes?  I almost have to pinch myself that it happened.  He came, killed a few bugs, played a masterpiece, then left quietly in his yellow truck.  He very easily could have passed right through the living room, asked me to sign a form at the front door, and vanished without another thought in my head.  We almost didn't see the musical gift he carried hidden within.


I am forcefully reminded that within every human being is complex beauty, no matter their walk in life or their mundane daily job.  In His image we were created, both fearfully and wonderfully. 

We are his masterpieces walking the earth. I forget that.


 
"God made the world for the delight of human beings-- if we could see His goodness everywhere, His concern for us, His awareness of our needs: the phone call we've waited for, the ride we are offered, the letter in the mail, just the little things He does for us throughout the day.
 

 As we remember and notice His love for us, we begin to fall in love with Him because
He is so busy with us -- you just can't resist Him.


I believe there's no such thing as luck in life,
it's God's love,
it's His.” 
 
(Mother Teresa, paraphrase)
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment